26 June 2008

June 2006 - France to Spain over the Pyrannes



The June 2006 Feature Flight: The French / Spanish Boarder Tour By: Cub Flounder
Well, after several weeks in Hanover I think Hans and his dear wife were good and truly SICK of feeding me and washing my clothes. I figured I may as well take a little vacation until the June FOTM came out. I booked a flight from Hanover to Nice and arrived at the airport to find out that we’d be riding down in a Saab 2000. (pict1) It was a nice, scenic flight under the command of Captain Bill and First Officer Peter. (pict2)
Arrival into Nice over the mountains was a bit steep for my liking but we did land safely and no-one else appeared at all concerned. (pict3)
I decided to take a cab down the coast to watch the 2006 Monaco Grand Prix F-1 race. My cabbie was a guy named Brad, he seemed like a reasonably knowledgeable sports fan and in trade for the fare, I let him tag along with me for the day. We enjoyed the good drive, fast cars and we both drooled over some BIG yachts! After I arrived back in Nice I found out that the start for this FOTM was due to be south of Bordeaux on the French / Spanish coast (Say Bay of Biscay). That very day I checked into flights but could find “no logical connections”. I consulted with a travel agent named REG who was not willing to give up on me until we had a plane and flight all settled. One of REG’s European colleagues was a guy named Geert who recommended the Flight Club 732. Mr. Rolf arrived with my ride at dusk and as I settled into the cockpit he briefed me on what is really his specialty (the Boeing 737-200) - we departed to the northeast making a right turn out over the Mediterranean before crossing Nice and heading into the setting sun. (pict4) What a spectacular flight this was! (pict5)
The next morning I received word that a rich pilot had arranged for three “friends” to be taken to Barcelona, Spain. Two I was to meet here on the coast and the third I was to pick up in Lourdes near the Pyrenees Mountains. I was told that once at the airport I should ask for “The Monk” and I’d be led to my plane, the POH and the specific flight information for this trip. Sure enough, once at the terminal I asked security about “The Monk” and was led through two security searches and into the basement where an unmarked airport car drove me out to a spectacular little Executive Jet. (pict6)“Why on EARTH is this not in our FS Hangar?” I found myself asking. Forget the Saberliner or Dassault, this little mother ROCKS!! I reviewed the POH (The chapter called Performance Data stated simply: “FAST!”) and glass cockpit, I tried out the fully-reclining seats and opened and closed the air-stairs. This was SO COOL! (It’s the Mike Stone “Lancer” available from his website and it blows the winglets off any Lear you’ve ever flown)
Shortly after noon, a limousine pulled up, and a couple got out. I bounded down the air-stairs and welcomed Alejandro and Salina aboard. “These guys must be very influential” I remember thinking. Once they were comfortably situated (not hard to do in this little plane) I closed the stairs, fired the engines and requested clearance to taxi. Departure at 45% N1 felt “nominal” and we briskly climbed up to 9,000 feet for the short flight (250 knots) to Lourdes. (pict7)You can watch the full video at: http://media.putfile.com/June-2006-Feature-Flight or just go to www.putfile.com/pretendpilot and look for the links to the June 2006 Feature Flight. At Lourdes we picked up a guy named Tony and headed off over the scenic mountains. (pict8)In the back the passengers had the finest Washington and Australian wines as well as tea sandwiches and spectacular views outside. Up in front I had a glass cockpit, ATC, a bottle of “Volvic” Water and spectacular views outside. Basically, the only thing better would have been some www.plr.org on the radio. Oh well. (pict9)
After arriving in Barcelona I wasn’t ready to be done flying (pict10)– but the plane’s owner wanted it back (no duh!) so I climbed into the Flight Club’s DC-3 and headed for Corsica where I spent a few days touring the islands in the Flight Club’s new Stearman. (Photos 11 & 12) Really, not my speed but SO MUCH FUN!
Alastair, simple but scenic and depending on time of year, I bet this will provide our pilots challenges for years to come. This was a great flight, easily done with hectic real world pressures – a very nice escape. PERFECTION! Thank you. (pict11)
I’m left with only one question: “Where IS Yolanda?” (you’ll have to watch the video to get that joke)