06 November 2014

October 2014 - California Fires

2011
Yes folks it's true, I had to fly this FOTM as soon as it came in. It is one that in a matter of speaking I had already lived in the real world. (pict1) and ( www.flightsim.com/main/feature/e13.htm ). I immediately made my way to Burbank Airport and loaded up a batch of Hot and Gusty Santa Ana Winds and a CDF S-2 Tracker Fire Bomber. (pict2) When I was Fire Fighting in this area more than 25 years ago, the S-2s and B-26s were the most common air bombers in use.

As instructed, I departed eastbound into the wind and then made a right-hand turn quickly finding a visual on the 101 freeway westbound which passes to the south of Van Nuys airport. (pict3) Having lived out at the west end of the 101 during High School (FOTM November 2007) I could nearly name the LA County communities below as I flew at 1,000 feet. As I approached Westlake Village I made the left turn toward Zuma Canyon and spotted the road. (pict4) I followed that low through the saddle and continued down in the canyon (pict5)and out over the Pacific Ocean beaches that I still can remember clearly.

I made my second pass back up the canyon (pict6)(Turn the speakers up baby!!) and then continued to climb on up to 2,000 feet for the relatively short flight to Chino. (pict7)

Chino had its own Fire Department 25 years ago (pict8) and we (Riverside County / CDF) ran some mutual aide with them on some bigger incidents (like the fire along Highway 71 which is in Photo1 above). After 20 minutes on the ground to refuel and reload with slurry I departed southbound (crosswind departure) and immediately followed the 71 south, (pict9) across the 91, and picked up the 215 which is very near to where my Fire Station is located to this day. El Cerrito is a community along the 215 freeway just at the base of the canyon of the same name and was covered by Riverside County Station 15 (now part of Corona City, covered their by Station 7) – trust me, I know the area well! (pict10)

I opened the Bombay doors and dove aggressively into the canyon, (pict11) keeping at treetop height. As the canyon rose I applied full throttles and climbed. . . . . . This climbing up the terrain is certainly one of the most dangerous things!

In fact, I demonstrated the danger of cockiness by crashing into a tree-covered ridge about two-thirds of the way up the canyon!!! (Very embarrassing on this FOTM – in this location I know so well). (pict12)

Back to Chino:
I followed the same route down to El Cerrito Canyon, (pict13) this time making my runs a little safer, a little more conservatively. (pict14) Rocketing up out of the canyon is really quite the thrill I must say! (pict15) From nearly a mile high I dove back down the steep eastern side of the mountain range making my drop and shooting out over the local Golf Course. (pict16) (pict17) (pict18)

Next I flew past Lake Matthews (pict19)and beyond March ARB, (pict20) up into the San Gorgonio Mountains, (pict21) near Lake Hemet (pict22) and over Pine Springs Ranch (FOTM August 2010) where I made some low passes. (pict23)

Finally I returned to the REAL Cal-Fire Air Base, the Hemet/Ryan Airport where I followed a Caravan landing to the east. (pict24) What a fun FOTM (despite my humiliation) – thanks to everyone for your participation. (pict25)

.

2013
With another summer blazing and two more years to wait for this FOTM I decided to fly this feature again.

I repainted an A-3 Skywarrior in Cal-Fire/CDF themes and departed from Long Beach airport. (pict26) I flew north intercepting the 101 freeway near Van Nuys airport where I turned west. I was able to again find the location and make my required low passes (this time painting in the water-drop effects)! (pict27) (pict28) (pict29) (pict30) (pict31) (pict32) I find this model to be a bit "floaty" with flaps down, not the best thing for a Fire Bomber. After successfully making two drops along Kanan-Dume Road I turned east and headed for Chino Airport. (pict33) (pict34)

This time I switched aircraft into my repainted EMB-195; these modified AI Aardvark models are very versitile! (pict35) I departed again after about an hour and headed south along the same route I had taken last year in the S-2. (pict36) I flew south past El Cerrito Canyon (pict37) and then made a big left-hand turn to line up for my first drop. (pict38) With three notches of flaps in I set my autothrottle for 150 knots (pict39)and flew down the canyon making the first drop successfully (pict40)and then flying UP the mountainside safely! (pict41)

I turned about and headed back down the canyon (pict42) (this was FUN!) making a spectacular water drop! (pict43) The EMB-195 is obviously quite newer than the A-3 or S-2 and I had to deal with the audible call-outs in this newer, advanced cockpit:
"Too Steep - Pull Up!"
"Terrain - Woop, Woop!"
"Minimums"
"Terrain - Woop, Woop!"
"Minimums"
"Pull Up!"
"Minimums"
(pict44)

Following directions, I flew to and landed at March ARB in Riverside. (pict45) (pict46)

.

Later in 2013
I guess I wasn't done yet! The call came in from one of my facebook friends that there was a fire 200 miles to the north in the coast range just west of Paso Robles. San Luis Obisbo County also contracts Fire Protection Services from CDF so this was another call in the CalFire/CDF area! I filled the water tanks on the 195 and headed that way. (pict47)

The location was immediately west of Oak Country Ranch airport so I took a fly-by to get a lay of the land. (pict48) With that info I slowed my speed, dropped in some flaps and made my run .... (pict49) (pict50)

After knocking down the flames (and protecting my friend's property) I landed up at Paso Robles Airport. (pict51)

Just one more photo to share, from the El Cerrito Canyon fire. (pict52)