06 November 2014

November 2013 - Iran

It's interesting how these things work out.

On Monday October 28th I received a FOTM suggestion from Mahmoud (whom I had not previously "met" before.)

I got his FOTM all worked up and loaded to the website with the date in 2016 sometime - figured we'd just hold onto it for the future if needed.

Wednesday, October 30th: I flew a Continental EMB-190 to Chicago O'Hare, figuring I could go anywhere from there. (pict1)

Late on Thursday, October 31st: I figured out that there WAS NO FOTM for November. Quickly I loaded up an Eastern Air Lines 773 and departed on a 12-hour, (pict2) overnight flight to Beirut. As I flew through the darkness I re-dated Mahmoud's flight suggestion and by 2 AM (Pacific Time) November 1st we had a FOTM feature to present.

I landed in Beirut just before 15:00 Friday and spent the weekend in one of my favorite cities! (pict3)

Monday, November 4th: I departed in a Cedar Virtual EMB-195 and headed just under 800 miles to Tehran for the month. (pict4) (pict5) I arrived before noon and was greeted by ... "some of the largest Anti-US protests seen in a generation!" (pict6)
"Ummmm, Mahmoud? I'm not sure that I am comfortable with this."
I certainly wasn't going to insult Islam or their Prophet by pretending to fit in so I grabbed the first EMB-195 I saw (Saudi Registration) and shouted something about "my name is Brad and I'm from Canada, Ay!" I quickly departed for .... not sure. (pict7)

Climbing quickly I headed southwest toward the coast and my first stop of the month, Bushehr. (pict8) Enroute I crossed over the VOR at Esfehan and figured I could hit that on my return journey - if there was to be a return. (pict9) (pict10)

Checking the FSX flight logs, this was my 2,600th landing!

After blending in with the tourists for a few days I headed back into the frey:
(pict11) (pict12) (pict13) I contemplated looking up Mahmoud but by the time the taxibus had left the airport property I knew this was a mistake! I got off at the first opportunity and returned to the airport and the relative safety of my Embraer.

I returned to the Captial (pict14) where I was treated to some 748 AI traffic! (pict15) (pict16)

Things had simmered down a bit by Friday November 8th when I took another EMB-195 to Karmanshah. (pict17) (pict18) What a great place! The area and geography was fascinating. I liked the approach and the airport and certainly there was much history to explore in the nearby carvings and caves. (pict19) I spent a lovely weekend here.

Monday the 11th had me onward to Uromiah and Rasht. (pict20) (pict21) (pict22) (pict23) (pict24) (pict25)

While I was at Kermanshah I learned (for the first time) about, "The Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic." This is an autonomous area of Azerbaijan, governed by its own elected legislature. Armenian tradition says that Nakhchivan was founded by Noah. Nakhchivan is extremely arid and mountainous. Its highest peak is Mount Kapudzhukh (3904 m) and its most distinctive is Ilandag (2415 m), which is visible from Nakhchivan City. According to legend, the cleft in its summit was formed by the keel of Noah's Ark as the floodwaters abated.

This bit of history I had to check out so ditching the rest of the FOTM I departed Rasht early Tuesday the 12th and headed to Nakhchivan City. (pict26) (pict27) (pict28) (pict29) (pict30) (pict31)

Mahmoud, thank you for your submission, we are thankful that the sim-world is a more peaceful and cooperative place!