20 November 2014

November 2014 - St Helena Island

Back in June 2014 I was "hired" by http://www.platinumairways.org to fly Embraers for them. (pict1) Their OPEN SKY format works well for someone like me with a short attention span. From August thru October I was flying an Around the World Feature exclusively in E-jets. November marks Platinum's FIFTH ANNIVERSARY and so I took a CV-990 on another RTW flight using only Platinum Airways Destinations. By mid-month I had arrived into Cape Town, South Africa. From Cape Town it is a 1,700-mile flight to St. Helena Island and Dominique's Add-On Scenery.

I departed from my assigned parking in Cape Town at dawn. (pict2) After a south departure I turned to the Northwest and set out over Robbin Island and the vast openness of the South Atlantic. (pict3) All flights to St. Helena are a "long-haul over open water." The nearest alternate is some 2 hours away in Namibia! (pict4)

After a short downwind I flew the offset approach to a southbound landing on this little island paradise. (pict5) (pict6) (pict7) (pict8) (pict9) I shut down at parking and had two-hours to run down and check out the harbor. (pict10) (pict11) After enjoying brunch I returned to the airport (Jokingly called "Napolean International") and prepared for my return flight to Cape Town.

Departure from St. Helena is just before 11 AM local time with arrival back in Cape Town at 16:30. (pict12) (pict13) (pict14) (pict15) (pict16) (pict17) (pict18) (pict19)

All-in-all, a lovely days' flight!