06 November 2014

April 2014 - New Orleans

Four Months!
It's been four months since someone has submitted a feature Flight of the Month on their own and without us "having to make due" with something from our archives! YAY BILL!
I was so excited by the prospect that Bill may actually come through with on original FOTM that I was up at 12:01 AM to check and see what he had offered.

While I've never seen any of Bill's favorite TV shows (not much of a TV-watcher myself) I was anxious to get flying just for the sake of flying something new. How anxious was I? I was up at Midnight:01 to check. By 3 AM I was ready to depart KPDX so I flew a retro-painted Continental EMB-190 to New Orleans (Armstrong). (pict1) (pict2)

Bill suggested that we could take a tour through each city so upon landing I loaded up my favorite amphibian ("Stratojet") and took a low-level tour of N'Orleans including landing on the river. (pict3) (pict4) (pict5) I was disappointed that there weren't any Stearnwheeler Riverboats shown in FSX. (pict6) Finally I landed up at KNEW a little regional airport. (pict7)

At this point I switched into an Eastern EMB-175 and flew non-stop to Baltimore/Washington. (pict8) (pict9) (pict10) Upon my arrival (and after lunch) I took another Stratojet on a low-level tour of Baltimore, (pict11) (pict12) then on the Washington DC, (pict13) (pict14) (pict15) (pict16) then on to New York via Philadelphia (pict17) (pict18)
(pict19) (pict20) (pict21) (pict22) (pict23) (pict24) (pict25) (pict26) and finally down to Atlantic City. (pict27) (pict28)

Finding nothing to really look at in Atlantic City I returned to Philadelphia and took a land-based tour of this historic US city.

Confession: I have said that when it comes to classic jetliners I prefer to fly the CV-990. That's true, it's in my "FAVORITES" Hangar. But I had such a pleasant flight in the DC-8 last month that I wanted to fly that again so I loaded up one of these classics and headed Trans-Con back to KPDX. (pict29) (pict30) (pict31) Thanks again to Bill for the chance to fly to/through some new locations!