26 January 2012

June 2011 - Race Around Rio

This month Bill offered us something new and unique: A timed race, one single lap, around Rio, Brazil. Not just a simple lap but one that involves specific altitude restrictions and NDB navigation - all this crammed into just under 40 minutes! Wow, looked pretty tough. Especially since Bill had said that we would be closely monitored to be sure that every letter of the law would be followed.
I arrived into Rio early and set up base, as instructed, at Santa Cruz Air Base (SBSC). I loaded up the only Mooney I have in the Hangar and with the instructions in hand I took off from runway 23 and set my altimiter for 2,000 feet. I flew the route with no touch and goes just to get a lay of the land and to find all of the NDBs. Really it was not as difficult as it may have at first appeared.
I came into Santa Cruze a bit hot and had to hold 10 feet over the runway while I waited for the wheels to come down. I landed back at the starting airport just 21 minutes after I had departed and as I taxied over to my parking place Bill came out to meet me. Before he could even speak I explained, "Just making a test flight. I just wanted to get some idea what I was up against."
"You cheated." Bill replied.
"What?"
"You were too high. You didn't stay over the water as I instructed. You turned too early. You didn't dail up the ILS. You went around the mountain as opposed to over it. The directions clearly state that you must fly runway heading and climb to 2,500 feet BEFORE making any turns. You didn't do that and will be summarily dismissed if you can't follow the rules."
With that, he briskly walked back inside. "Oh-Kay..."
Still, figuring I had made the lap with about 15 minutes to spare I was confident that I could post a faster time.
The next morning I reported for duty. Yes it was me. Yes I had the route printed. Yes I way flying a Mooney. Bill called ahead to be sure all of the observers were at their posts and I was given the green light.
I gradually applied full throttle and shot down the runway. I rotated smoothly and quickly pulled up the gear to be sure I cut down on the drag. I held course and leveled out at 500 feet. (pict1) Once I was well out over the water I turned left and headed straight for the inlet, gradually descending to 100 feet above the water. (pict2) I held that level along the entire length before pulling up and over the ridgeline and leveling out at 1,000 feet. I trimmed for smooth flight and began visually looking for the runway. (pict3)
As the ADF needle began swinging to 020* I turned left (pict4)and kept the runway on my left side as I scurried past at 1,000 feet. As I crossed the NDB I chopped the throttles and let the Mooney settle into a gentle descent. I added one notch of flaps as I passed the threshold, then I made a sharp, descending left turn and lowered the gear. Touch-and-Go!
Again, wanting to avoid penalties I held runway heading until I was well off shore, then I turned left and headed for the IH NDB and the little island. (pict5) Over the island I turned left and set sights on Santos Dumont (just to the right of Sugar Loaf Mountain). I was a bit low on finals but added some throttle and made a higher-speed touch-and-go. The required "fast climb" back up to 1,000 feet was easy considering I was passing 140 knots as I left the airport property! (pict6)
This time I flew ALL THE WAY onto the ILS at Galleleo runway 28. (pict7) I followed the beam all the way onto the runway and took a 2,000-foot roll before adding throttle and climbing away. The last touch-and-go location comes in low over the near-by buildings and I was careful not to get too low this time. (pict8) After another brisk touch-and-go I was airborne and rocketing up to 2,500 feet. (pict9) I put the spot view off the nose so that I could be sure I was staying in line with the runway!
At 2,500 feet I passed through a little saddle in the mountain and headed directly for the VOR back at Santa Cruz. I was careful to be flying a heading of 320* as I crossed the field at the required altitude. (pict10) I knew that EVERYONE was watching now so I took a bit of a wider and longer downwind and base being sure to line up smoothly. (pict11) I knew from the day before that the ground handling was pretty poor on this thing so I slowed dramatically, hanging on the prop and landing in the runway threshold. I made the first turn-off and stopped! 27 minutes, 12 seconds! (pict12) Ten minutes to spare!
I wondered what kind of long finals Bill had taken but ... oh well. As the race fans gathered 'round I tried to remain humble. Even Bill came out to say that the spotters hadn't noted any problems with my flight or route. "How on earth was that possible?" He asked. I could only shrug.
Bill had disappeared into the croud and I was trying to head for the lounge when I noticed some photographers pointing and rushing back toward my Mooney. There was Bill with some inspectors and they were climbing under the hood! "What the ...?"
Returning to where they were poking around the engine I asked if there was a problem. "THERE!" one of the inspectors pointed. Bill turned around and threw his clipboard to the ground. "A TURBOCHARGER? Are you kidding me? You come here with a Mooney TURBO? Who the **** do you think you are? The Mooney is supposed to fly like an Impreza and you come with a WRX? **** man, you are DISQUALIFIED!"
At first I was thinking, "Who would want to fly something that handled like an Impreza?" (pict13) My second thought was, "Is it possible that the Club President has just been DQ'd from TWO FLIGHTS in the same year? And both by Aussies?"
Well, it was possible. Everyone that we spoke to confirmed that my Mooney Bravo Aclaim was NOT "the default" Mooney noted in the paperwork, even though that is the only Mooney I own. I left the airport dejected and defeated.
The next day I purchased a Groucho Marx mask and returned to the airport and registered to Race Around Rio under the name, RIK VYVERMAN. I was given a number and went over and stood next to Hans while his aircraft was inspected. When he had passed inspection I offered to take the checksheet to the pilot but put it in my own pocket instead. Then I proceded over to my "Impreza" the default Piper Cherokee.
I flew the route twice, by the numbers. (pict14) (pict15) (pict16) (pict17) (pict18) (pict19)First lap was: 44 minutes, 18 seconds. No where near fast enough. Second lap was: 42 minutes 29 seconds. Well, performance was much like an Impreza, that's what Bill wanted. (pict20) (pict21)
As I taxied over to parking Bill came out. "What are you playing at Rik? This is not a default Mooney Bravo. You are DISQUALIFIED!"
The next day I kidnapped a guy named Joao but there was one problem. Joao is a Brazilian citizen and I was quickly captured by Police and arrested.
I only hope to be out of jail by July.
Post Script: Co-Pilot Benjamin took the route in a Gee Bee racer and scored just a couple seconds under 37 minutes!