26 January 2012

April 2011 - First Channel Crossing (FOTM 100)

In anticipation of the Flight Club's 100th flight together, Hans invited us to join him in Dunkirk, France. So, that's what I did the last week of March. (pict1) (pict2) (pict3) (pict4) (pict5) (pict6)
Well, when April 1 rolled around and the FOTM was published I have to admit that it wasn't quite what I had expected - I guess Hans is more of a History Buff than I might have expected. Back in time ... back 102 years to that morning of the FIRST powered Channel Crossing in an "Aeroplane". This shouldn't be too bad. (And oh, by the way, Peter had us fly the Wright Flyer for the FOTM in October 2003 - that thing was tough to fly!)
This isn't really the kind of flying I like to take on so I had to go to FS.com and download the proper aircraft first. Then I appeared on the morning of April 1st in Dunkirk/Calis. The walk-around revealed an increadible piece of work - an amazing machine! (pict7) One into the "cockpit" I could tell that this was going to be VFR only!
I took off ... Not too bad - stayed on the runway until airborne etc The rate of climb is non-existant! I turned toward the water and squinting ahead I could see England on the horizon. That's where I headed!
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the FS model does trim out and by the time I reached the water I was happily cruising at 42 knots, 3,000 feet above the blue-grey water. (pict8)
I looked for the closest landfall and began wondering how much gas the little fuel cell held? (pict9) As I crossed the English shores I looked for an open spot in which to try and perform my first landing in this craft. The first spot I picked was not really flat so I flew on a bit more and landed smoothly in the grass. (pict10) I was at N51*10.06 : E1*22.27. just a few meters off from the real location of N51*07.52 : E1*19.34. (pict11)
With a little fuel left I performed a max-performance take-off and after a short flight performed a second, PERFECT landing in another nearby field. Actually, it was a bit of fun! (pict12) (pict13)
Hans, thank you once again for the great history lesson.
It was a short train ride to London. (pict14)