05 June 2013

May 2013 - Alpine Skiing

I remember a few things from Rik's FOTM ten years ago:
1- I didn't know what I was doing
2- I was very new to FS2002
3- He recommended a lot of downloads which I had never done before
4A- I was never able to get the scenery add-ons to work
4B- The sim crashed (repeatedly)
4C- I had to reload everything
5- I just sort of made up my own route through the Alps, nothing too tough
6- I ended up in Nice at the end of everything.

Ten years on now and I'm still not sure that I know what I'm doing (hence the "Flounder" moniker.) But, I have a new sim (FSX) and have, in fact, added some add-on scenery; specifically a file for, "ski resorts in the Alps" or some-such-thing; I know that they are the add-ons because from map view when I mouse over the airport it lists the runway length as 0 feet.

Having ended up last month in Geneva I set in a zig-zag route southeast through the Alps setting in EIGHT airports for the month. My aircraft of choice this time is an EMB-120 which performed respectably well in a "Turboprop Challenge" I did in St. Bart's for FS.com last year.

Genève Aéroport (LSGG) to Megeve (LFHM):
Thursday May 2nd dawned bright and clear in Portland, Oregon; an ideal Spring day with highs between 75-85 for the next week! I set Portland weather for Geneva and spooled up the twin turboprop engines just after sun up. Ground clearance was able to find me a slot quickly and I departed to the southwest before turning left over downtown and the famous Lake Geneva Fountain, "Jet d'Eau".  As I climbed to 10,000 feet for the short (<40 a="" alps="" and="" awe-inspired="" blessed="" by="" felt="" flight="" great="" have="" i="" miles="" mountain="" p="" range="" s="" scenery="" such="" the="" to="" towering="" very="" view="" virtual="" was="">Not knowing what I'd be facing at each of these airports I maintained 10,000 feet ASL and over-flew the area to get a good lay-of-the-land. Megeve is up a dead end valley, one-way in and the other way out. I turned to the west and descended, dropping in flaps and gear and retrimming for level flight at 125 knots. I followed the road(s) up into the valley  and surprised myself with the smooth uphill landing! I didn't even need any reverse pitch to slow down before cresting the ridge and parking. What a lovely flight!

Megeve (LFHM) to Challes-Les-Eaux (LFLE):
After several minutes on the ground taking in the scenery at Megeve I used reverse pitch to get turned around and lined up. I locked the brakes and throttled up until the engines were whining. I released the brakes and lurched forward down the hill. Acceleration comes quickly on a downward-sloping runway and I easily cleared the trees off the end of the runway.Flying out of the first valley I turned west again and picked up my route to LFLE which had been Rik's original starting location.

Challes-Les-Eaux (LFLE) to Courcheval (LFLJ):
After a quick stop-over for breakfast and a "nature break" I was ready to head on to the most famous of this month's challenging airports, Courcheval.  Luckily for me I did eventually learn how to install scenery and have been adding this airport to every sim I've had. I'm not much of a bush-flying pilot but I do try and duck into here a time or two each year just to keep up my skill set.
I am happy to report that I GREASED the landing and spent some time at the lodge celebrating with a Hot Swiss Cocoa drink.

Courcheval (LFLJ) to L'Alpe D'Huez (LFHU):
I'm even getting used to the cramped quarters departing Courcheval and it is fantastic to have an aircraft that can back itself up! Getting into position at the top of the ski jump I again locked the brakes, eased the throttle up and shot down the hill! 

Safely away I turned left and proceded to climb back up to my cruise level, now increased to 13,000 feet. . Using the GPS I could tell when I was clear of the last high mountains and began slowing and descending as soon as it was safe. I saw the village first, off to my right, and made a wide sweeping approach over the valley below. This is utterly SPECTACULAR, one of my new favorite places in flightsim!

Hey guess what? Another uphill landing; That should have been the title this month! The little airport apron includes vacationers and one special passenger!

L'Alpe D'Huez (LFHU) to St. Crepin (LFNC):
Having now enjoyed lunch in the shadow of the Alps I was ready to continue my way south towards Nice where I ended my FOTM in 2003. I restarted the turboprops, taxied to the top of the ramp, locked the brakes, throttled up and shot down hill and out over the spectacular valley again. This is another scenic leg flown at 13,000 feet but the St. Crepin airport is low down in a valley so I spent most of this 40-mile flight either climbing or descending.  I hope my pax. aren't feeling ill!

St. Crepin (LFNC) to Gap Tallard (LFNA):
After my brief stop to unload pax and top off the tanks I continued on.

Gap Tallard (LFNA) to St. Auban (LFMX):
Since it was just me now, alone in the E120, I dropped in the gear and flaps but went missed, passing over the runway at 100 feet AGL before climbing again and continuing on the Nice.

St. Auban (LFMX) to Nice (LFMN):
This was the longest leg of the month, over the southern French foothills and into Nice in time for dinner.

Nice (LFMN) to Zurich (LSZH):
The next morning after breakfast I took a taxi back to the Nice airport and put "As Real As It Gets" on the shelf. I borrowed an Italian Piaggio in Maseratti livery, set the season to January and the weather to "Winter Wonderland" and headed back to LFHU!

Super scenic flight (as they have been this month!)  and tough approach through Alpine Valleys.  I'm getting this challenging airport figured out!

I had another lunch at the cafe' and then went to check on Bill's friend Cindi; sure enough she was still there, shivering in the snow, so I offered her a ride.

With Cindi in the back, wrapped in warm blankets and sipping tea, we rocketed out of the mountains and headed direct to Zurich.

Rik: Now that I've gotten more of the flying thing figured out (and FSX) I really enjoyed this FOTM! One of the best I've had in a long time! Thank you so much for an adventure that, ten years later, is still awesome!

See you all in Kiwi-land for June!