02 July 2008

May 2008 - Florida Sea Planes



Did you expect me to stay on Malta? Really, what's there for me? Microsoft has given us a rather dull reproduction of this island, at least in FS9, so I had taken yet another flight back to "Ron's Digs - LGFC" for the last few days of April. After sailing around the entire island I returned to my cabin for a soak in the mineral hot tub. While checking in I saw the notice from Dick that the next FOTM would start out from Miami, FL.

Seeing no reason to arrive into Miami any sooner than I absolutely had to, I caught a CRJ200 up to Rome for some city tours and too much good food. While in Rome it occurred to me that I had yet to try out Tony's GORGEOUS new 747SP livery, so in the mid afternoon of 30-Apr-08 I loaded her up and headed across the pond.


The last time I was in Miami (for real I mean) we had just come from Brazil on our way home from Africa. First the over-hyped Atlantic was cold. Second there was a shooting at the motel where we were staying. Third at least I could drink the water and eat the food without concern about contracting some tropical illness. Fourth SeaWorld was fun. Basically, I was anxious to get to sleep so that the hours until the FOTM would pass quickly. I got a nicer hotel than we had last time and right on time the e-mail from Dick woke me up with photos that were simply beyond belief! I immediately dressed and dashed on foot from my hotel to the Northwest Corner of the airport where I got all the additional information for the month. I then set about to find some wings.


Mission One: Low-level recon. I loaded up the US Coast Guard PBY Catalina and set off at just 600 feet to hop-scotch down the keys, over the water bases all the way to Sugar Loaf (7FA1) where I landed (quite long actually) in the near-by bay. I was anxious to check out all the sights at very close range - but the lack of Palm Trees in the scenery was VERY DISCONCERTING!





Mission Two: Key West. Next up I loaded a very NorthWEST Turbo Beaver (Thanks Peter "Raven" Stark for that one) and took a low-level pass over all the sights at Key West. Bridges, Boats, Lighthouses, Docks, Airports and Naval Bases, (never did see the shipwreck however) finally landing up in the water near Chalk's (61FD). Time now to book a room, find some food, a cool drink and a quiet hammock!

Mission Three: Water Taxi to Margarita This was the leg I most looked forward to, making the water-taxi milk-run back up in the Twin Flotter. I set in a flightplan hitting all (ten or so) water docks plus a few airports along the way - I was certainly going to get my reps this time!




Videos of the float plane tours at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_HfVWUuXxU


Mission Four: Turbo Twin Commuter Finally, after the "meat" of this FOTM was done I wanted to see more. So I loaded up an EMB-120 which I prefer way more than any KingAir! Then I flew a bunch of criss-cross legs all the way down to Cuba and back.





Wow Dick! A great FOTM from US soil - and you did a fair-amount of work on the scenery for sure! This was great fun I have to admit, many thanks indeed.