08 September 2009

September 2009 - Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

After a crazy and hectic month up in Alaska, trying to find all of Peter's little red-and-white boxes I awoke before dawn on Monday the 31st not really ready to head off to Brazil. I climbed aboard, pre-flighted (is that an adverb?), walked-around and fired up "Flounder One" from KOFC. Watch this video of the 15-hour, all-day haul (with fuel stop in Guatamala) down to Sao Paulo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWzQNNshDI

On Tuesday morning I awoke in my hotel room with a busting headache but there under the door was my FOTM information. A bowl of fresh fruit and latte' later I was feeling better and opened the envelope to find the following photo: My heart sank, "I'm in an entirely wrong hemisphere" I thought. Then I read on ... an Oktoberfest in Southern Brazil? Sounds kinda fun!
So I spent the rest of Tuesday setting up my route and aircraft as well as touring around Sao Paulo. I'd be basically flying the route backwards, ending up at the "Falls of Iguacu."

I set out (not too) early Wednesday September 2nd for "Quero" in a Flight Club livery Lockheed Electra. After take-off I turned to the right and flew at about 4,000 feet over the whole of Sao Paulo. Once I was beyond most of the city I commenced my climb on up to cruise altitude of 9,000 feet.

It's about 250 miles from Sao Paulo to Blumenau - just a bit over an hour in the Electra. As I set up for finals I noted a problem ahead ... in FS9, Quero Airport is in a hole! It looked very landable but I just didn't have to fortitude to pull it off so instead I divered to near-by Navegantes Airport on the coast.
It was a bit foggy, still, but no big deal. I spent a few hours here and had lunch in near-by Itajai. For the next, shorter flight ('bout 100 miles from Navegantes) up to Curitaba and "Afonso Pena International" Airport, I chose the Flight Club P-51 Mustang. I even got to chase a Caravan just for a bit of a distraction!
Two days later I was ready for the little bit of a longer flight to "Cataratas Airport" in Iguacu and I figured I'd take the Flight Club's Do328-jet. It was a pleasant, uneventful flight over the jungles of southern Brazil with an arrival about 10:40 AM. Finally, during my time in Foz do Iguacu I took the Flight Club's Stearman on some low-and-slow trips over the falls. I don't know about the scenery for the rest of you, but I had some SPECTACULAR views as shown in the following photos:After my time in southwestern Brazil I took the "Black Flight Club" A-320 back to Santos Dumont in Rio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJokp3Leda8

While there, I could enjoy the sights until next month.

pretendpilot@yahoo.com